Home / FEES
Fees and Financial Support

Fees and Financial Support

For 2017/8 our tuition fees are £9,000 for trainees.

Tuition Fee Loan

Please refer to the Student Loans page for more information. Click here

Secondary Phase Training Bursaries

Substantial tax-free bursaries of up to £30,000 are available for people with top degrees in certain subjects.  The amount of bursary you will be eligible for depends on the subject you want to teach and your degree class.

Please note that salaried trainees are not eligible for training bursaries.


Eligibility 2017 to 2018 (1) Trainee with 1st/PhD 2.1/Masters




Physics 30K 25K 25K 0
Secondary mathematics, classics, computing, geography, modern foreign languages 25K 25K 25K 0
Chemistry  25K 20K 20K  0
Biology 15K 12K 10K  0
Design and technology  12K 9K 0  0
English  9K 9K 0  0
History, music, religious education 9K 4K 0  0
Primary mathematics (2)  6K 6K 6K  0
Primary  3K 0 0 0


As well as the financial award, scholars will receive a package of additional benefits provided by the professional bodies.

Graduates with a minimum 2:1 in Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Computing, Geography and Modern Languages are eligible to apply for a scholarship from the appropriate professional body.

As well as the financial award, scholars will receive a package of additional benefits provided by the professional bodies.

Trainees with a 2:2 may be awarded a scholarship in exceptional circumstances, if they have significant relevant experience.

Primary Phase Training Bursaries

Tax free bursaries are available to assist with living expenses during your training.  The primary bursary for 2017-8  is £3,000 for a first, other categories are not eligible for bursaries.

Student Loans

Student Loans

Fees and Maintenance loans are available to non –salaried trainees on courses with Lampton LWA SCITT.

Tuition Fees Loans

You can apply for tuition fees loans to cover up to £9,000, these are paid directly to Lampton LWA SCITT by Student Finance England. Tuition Fee Loans are not repayable until you are earning over £21,000.

Maintenance Loans

You can apply for a maintenance loan for up to £5,740 to help with living costs. These loans are paid into your bank account at the start of each term. The exact amount you can borrow depends on your household income, where you are studying and what assistance you receive through maintenance grants.

Maintenance and Special Support Grants

Maintenance and Special Support Grants

Grants are available to students whose household income is less than £42,620. Your household income is your partner’s or parents’ income plus your own.

Maintenance Grants

You can apply for a Maintenance Grant to help with living costs. These grants are paid into your bank account at the start of each term.

Maintenance grants are NOT repayable.

Click here to sign in or register for Student Finance

If you qualify for a Maintenance Grant the amount of Maintenance Loan you can receive is reduced.

Special Support Grants

You may be eligible for a SSG if you qualify for Income Support or Housing Benefit.

The amounts are the same as the Maintenance Grants but it will not reduce the maintenance loan you receive.

Other Financial Support

Other Financial Support

Depending on your individual circumstances there are other means of support available

Council Tax Concessions

As a full time student you can apply for council tax reduction/exemption. This is dependent on who lives in your household.  You will need an official letter to apply for exemption which can be given to you by Lampton LWA SCITT when you commence the course.

Parents’ Learning Allowance

Parents’ Learning Allowance helps towards your course costs, such as books, materials and travel. If you’re eligible, you could get up to £1,573  for 2015/16 depending on your household income.

You can apply for Parents’ Learning Allowance when you apply for student finance.  Click here.

Childcare Grant

If you’re eligible, the amount you may get will depend on:

  • your household income;
  • the cost of your childcare;
  • the number of children you have.

This could be up to £155.24 per week if you have one child or up to £266.15 per week if you have two or more children.

If you’re living and studying in England, you can apply for Childcare Grant if you use childcare that is registered or approved with OFSTED. Click here.

Child Tax Credit

You can claim Child Tax Credit if you have children under 16 (or under 20 in approved education or training).  You could get a basic amount of up to £545 a year. This is known as the ‘family element’.  You could get extra elements on top of this.  How much you get depends on things like your income and circumstances (e.g. if your child is disabled). Click here.

The Adult Dependants’ Grant

Full-time students in higher education with an adult who depends on them financially can apply for an Adult Dependants’ Grant of up to £2,757. The amount you can get depends on your income and the income of your dependants in the tax year preceeding your training period. Click here.

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)

These are grants to help meet the extra course costs students may face because of a disability.  DSAs can help pay for:

  • specialist equipment you need for studying;
  • non-medical helpers, such as a note-taker or reader;
  • extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability ;
  • other costs.

DSAs are paid on top of the main student finance package, or on their own. You don’t have to pay DSAs back and they’re not counted as income when working out whether you get benefits or Tax Credits. Click here.





This information will never be shared with 3rd party companies